The Coral Snake

In 1995, I was 8 years old, when I felt a rush of adrenaline very striking in my life. I lived in the interior of Rondônia, my father was a farmer and my mother was a housewife. That day my sister and I had to bring packed lunch to my father and my older brother, because they were working in the cotton harvest.

Then, my mother prepared the pots and call us and told us to take it to my father and my brother. The farm was relatively far from our little house, and we had to cross a strip of dense dark forest. At first we were happy because we had not yet arrived in the forest. But then, when we arrived at the last glade before the forest, the silence and fear began to embrace us. We were strongly scared, because we had heard some disturbing stories about the Curupira and Caipóra, two folkloric beings that was very real to children like us. We were very scared not only by the mysterious beings of the forest, but also by the real and fearsome Jaguar (Onça Pintada), it’s very common in Brazil. Anyway, when we were in the middle of the way I was extremely apprehensive and I didn’t see a terrible snake below my next step… I stepped on, and felt something soft, when I looked down I could see the vibrant colors of a coral snake. When I realized, I screamed so loudly: SNAKE! SNAKE! I stepped on a SNAKE! My heart was beating so fast, it was a mix sensation that I couldn’t describe. My sister was like me, very scared, then we ran like crazy to leave the forest. I think if there was any forest spirit, a Jaguar or something else, they were afraid of my screams. 



When we got to the farm we told what happened to Dad, we were still scared, but when we realized that we were safe, we laughed a lot at everything that happened. If one day you decide to cross a forest, stay tuned and look at the ground.
__________________________________________________________________________


This text is a writing practice from my english couse.

Comments